28 Eylül 2007 Cuma

Just for the Hell of It!

I was asking to myself what the hell am I doing in the crater of an active Volcano?

After a 6 hour hike through one of the most challenging hiking trails I have ever taken we arrived at the sulfur blowing active volcano Santi Aguito that has an altitude of 2200 meters. After I heard that 5 people who were around the crater were dead either because of hot sulfur intoxication or rocks falling on them coming close to the crater felt more terrifiying to me. As soon as we arrived I started keeping a log to calculate how much time we can spend in the crater. According to the guides the volcano was erupting approximately every 1 hour and blowing a mixture of mostly hot sulfur gas, sand, rock, ash and some lava..... I barely slept 2 hours because of keeping the log for 12 hours after our arrival... At 6 o'clock in the morning we were woken up by Marvins voice "Hey Amigos...Levanta-Wake Up"

Qucikly getting out of the tent bare foot I found my self in awe after seeing the eruption....Altough our camp was 500 meters away from the crater the blow was gigantic enough to make me feel that I was being swalloved by it...My camera's objective could not contain the whole blow....After 15 minutes of the eruption I could feel the sulfur and sand rain on my skin and eyes....

Marvin said: Come on we are going in to the crater! We have only one hour....
After seeing the eruption I said to myself...."He must be crazy" The reply came quickly: "Yes this is not a very sane thing to do....I have only guided three people since now.....and you seem to be crazy and fit enough to enter into the crater.....Come on! vamos!"

The other guys Ben and Sam were also willing to enter the crater since the begining of the journey...So I did not ask them if they wanted it or not for confirmation and started walking with the group tough a little bit anxious.....After 20 minutes of hiking and climbing we were in the crater.....you can watch the video I took ten minutes after we left the crater:

Hiç yorum yok: